Honor System

Honor System FAQs

I received a letter stating I may have violated the Honor Code. What do I do now?

First and foremost, if you received this letter, you have not been charged with a violation, rather the Student Attorney General is assessing information on whether there is a basis to charge you with a violation.

Your next step is to wait until a member of the Student Attorney General's staff reaches out to you to set up an initial meeting if needed. Until that time, please regularly check your email and respond promptly to any communication you receive. Please keep in mind that during school breaks, students are not on campus often, therefore you may have a delay in communication with the Student Attorney General’s staff.

What happens in the initial meeting?

During the initial meeting, a member of the Student Attorney General's staff will go over the alleged violation and information received by our office. Essentially, this meeting allows you to review the information and speak to your experience about the alleged incident.

Can someone come with me to the initial meeting?

Yes. Students can have anyone accompany them to the initial meeting. Just make sure you sign a FERPA waiver so, the Student Attorney General’s representative can share information regarding your educational records with that person.

What are my rights as an accused student?

Per the Instrument, the accused student has the right to 1) information and informed choices, 2) presumption of innocence, 3) counsel, 4) fair hearing, 5) self-incrimination, 6) evidence and witnesses, 7) proof that is clear and convincing, and 8) appeals and rehearing.

For more information about your rights, please see the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance, Section IV: Procedural Rights of Students and Complainants (pg. 17).

I have a transcript hold from Student Conduct on my account, but I need to obtain a copy. Can the hold be removed?

Yes, the hold on your transcript can be removed. However, please note that the notation will still appear on your official and unofficial transcripts until the completion of your Honor Court case or there has been a “no charge” decision on your case. If you would like your hold removed, please fill out the Transcript Hold Release Request in its entirety and return it to jpa@unc.edu or bring it to our office.

Why do I have an enrollment hold from Student Conduct on my account?

Typically, enrollment holds are placed on students’ accounts when they do not complete all their sanctions by the stated deadline. If that’s you, please look at your final outcome letter from our office to determine how to move forward with completing those sanctions in a timely manner. You can submit your sanctions here.

In the case that you have already submitted your sanctions, please allow up to five (5) business days for our office to process your sanction documentation and update your records accordingly.

Can I receive a copy of my file?

Yes. Fill out the Electronic File Request Form and our office will email you a copy of your file. Please note, that all information in your file relating to other students will be redacted from the file given to you.

Do I have to participate in the Honor System process if I am accused of violating the Honor Code?

No, you have the right to not participate. However, it is in your best interest to partake in the Honor System process if you are accused or charged.

How long does an Honor Code violation stay on my record?

A violation of the Instrument will remain a part of your disciplinary record for ten (10) years after the date your case is finalized and closed and is maintained in Student Conduct.

What impacts could a violation have on my future at Carolina and beyond?

It is possible that your disciplinary record could affect many parts of your life such as job opportunities, financial aid & scholarships, or educational opportunities depending on a variety of factors. However, we will never disclose information to someone else about you without a FERPA waiver.

What impacts could a violation have on my current graduate or professional school eligibility?

Section III.B.1.d. of the Instrument states in part that "the imposition of an academic sanction in the form of a failing grade in a course shall not in itself be grounds for terminating the affected student’s enrollment in the academic program in which he or she is enrolled, except when the pertinent academic authorities independently determine that such termination is warranted pursuant to pertinent academic rules and requirements." 

As such, Graduate and Professional students should contact their respective programs with any questions regarding the effects of a potential Honor Code violation on their standing in their respective programs, as the Honor System and Student Conduct do not maintain or administer those policies.

Sharing and printing options: