Student Affairs - Fostering Student Learning and Success

Primary tabs

Graduate & Professional Students: Program Eligibility

Graduate and Professional students may at times have differing concerns or considerations than undergraduate students when assessing how a potential Honor Code violation and any accompanying sanctions may affect their standing in their respective programs of study. See our Student Guide on the Graduate and Professional Honor System for more information about the main differences between the Undergraduate Honor System and Graduate and Professional Honor System.

Section III.B.1.d. of the Instrument states in part that "the imposition of an academic sanction in the form of a failing grade in a course shall not in itself be grounds for terminating the affected student’s enrollment in the academic program in which he or she is enrolled, except when the pertinent academic authorities independently determine that such termination is warranted pursuant to pertinent academic rules and requirements."

As such, Graduate and Professional students should contact their respective programs with any questions regarding the effects of a potential Honor Code violation on their standing in their respective programs, as the Honor System and the Office of Student Conduct do not maintain or administer those policies.

The following websites provide contact information and other resources for Graduate and Professional students who have questions surrounding the aforementioned information:

UNC Graduate School

UNC School of Dentistry

UNC School of Medicine

UNC School of Nursing

Gillings School of Global Public Health

UNC School of Social Work

UNC School of Education

UNC School of Government

UNC School of Law

UNC School of Media and Journalism

Kenan-Flagler Business School

UNC School of Information and Library Science

Eshelman School of Pharmacy

Graduate and Professional students with questions surrounding the details of the Honor System process should contact the Office of Student Conduct at 919-962-0805 or

Graduate and Professional students who are interested in joining the Honor System should email or for additional information.